Tuesday, July 19, 2011

a toddler update

So what has happened in the last, oh, more than a month, since I have been here?

Well first off, my car was fixed, and thanks to the witness I was also paid my excess back.

The past month has seen us visiting the doctor numerous times, and also included one trip to the ER with my boy. Mostly because of colds / sinusitis, then conjunctivitis, and then an ear infection. After completing the second course of antibiotics, as well as the course of antibiotic ear drops we woke one morning to blood... So off to the ER we went early the morning and saw the ENT. Turns out he has/had a granuloma on the eardrum, and the grommet is also on its way out. The last of the drops was used this morning, so now I am just watching to see that everything has cleared up.

Despite all this he has been a happy and busy little guy. He is learning new things every day – it is just amazing! His speech is also developing. I realised recently that he actually knows a bit more word than I thought – he just does not use them that often. He still always seems to need to say the word “car” – by far his favourite word, toy, and object. Busses and bikes also feature way up there. Flowers are called “wowers”. He has learnt the power of the word “no”, but unfortunately for him I cannot always give in .

He is growing taller by the day – but I have no clue how tall he is now. I was actually looking around at some growth charts online to put up against the wall. He weighs about 12.2/3kg now – so not too heavy, by not too skinny either.

Still loves loves loves his food. And I have been lucky that he has not developed an aversion to vegetables. Loves peas (although it seems as though he calls most veggies peas). I am glad that I have not had too many feeding issues with him. He is also eating very well on his own.

He is definitely favouring his left hand – and I can even see this when he eats. He messes much less, and I even saw him using his left hand to guide his right hand with the spoon to his mouth once. He still swops between the two quite often. I notice for instance when he wants to wave and has something in his left hand he will swop hands in order to wave with his left.

We have been enjoying the freakishly clear days here, and taking full advantage of them over weekends. My boy just loves being outside so it has really been quite a blessing.

I cannot believe that soon he will be 2. I still have a few months left, but we have started thinking about what to do for his second birthday in October. The only thing I do know is that I want to get him a Cars cake – I will not be attempting to make this myself.

Daycare, Marcia, has not really been sorted out yet... We have enrolled at both the places I visited. At the one we have been placed on a waiting list, and to be honest I doubt we will be getting a place for next year. The other I am not sure of yet. I felt pretty confident after meeting with them that he should be getting a placement there, but I guess only time will tell.

1 comments:

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

So nice to hear that your little one is doing so well, Sweets. I hope you soon find a daycare placement that works well for both you and him.

I hope you've also recovered from the sarcoidosis (?spelling) and that you're feeling well again.